Do you know the difference between a gown and a ball gown? Stay tuned to Macy’s Evening Dress Guide to discover the different types of dresses. From cocktail to midi dresses, Macy’s is here to make your night magical. Shop the latest evening dresses from top brands including Lauren Ralph Lauren, Xscape, Betsy & Adam, Vince Camuto and more!
1. Cocktail Dress. A cocktail dress is shorter in length, so you can easily dance the night away. What to do you wear when you want to have fun? You’ll love a sequined dress to shine bright. No matter the occasion, every girl should have an LBD in her closet to capture that movie-star moment. If you’re feeling extra feisty, make it a bodycon dress.
2. Gown. What exactly is a gown? A gown is a floor-length formal dress. Does your special event have a formal dress code? You’ll need a gown for that. You’ll wear this dress to a wedding or prom. You’ll heart a flattering mermaid dress that fits closely through your torso and hips, then flares out to the floor.
3. Ball Gown. How is a ball gown different from a gown? A ball gown is a type of gown that is fitted at the top, cinched in at the waist and has a dramatic skirt. You’ll wear this A-line dress to a gala, sweet sixteen/quinceañera or debutante ball. Enjoy your fairytale moment.
4. Midi Dress. A midi dress hits at your mid-calf, hence the term midi. Looking to rock a trending frock? A midi dress is your key to on-trend style. Want to add some spice? Pounce on a midi dress in an animal print for a fierce look.
5. Jacket Dress. The jacket dress features a cocktail dress or gown that comes with a coordinating jacket. Need a dress with a bit more coverage? Sport a jacket dress to your upcoming formal event. If you’re the MOB or MOG, you’ll love our elegant selection of jacket dresses.