Is your new home a blank canvas, just waiting to be personalized? Or perhaps you’ve been in the same space for a while and it could definitely use a refresh. An easy (and economical) way to spruce up your home begins with a little wall decor. If you’re the type who stares at your walls forever and can’t decide where to start, we’ve got you! Check out our top 5 wall accents, plus designer-approved tips on how to style them.
Top 5 Wall Accents
- Photography. Who doesn’t love a gallery wall? Is your blank white wall in desperate need of character? Make it pop with the addition of black-framed photography in an eye-catching mix of landscape and portrait orientations, like an artsy collage. Pick photos in a rainbow of hues that complement the rest of your room’s decor. Need something to fit over your mantle? Choose a canvas wall art print in a larger statement size.
- Mirrors. Objects in the mirror are larger than they appear. A strategically placed mirror is the quickest way to make your space feel bigger and more open. Simple wall frames add a minimalist touch to bedrooms or hallways, but we’re partial to styles with a little more panache. Currently trending: art deco mirrors that channel a glam 1920s vibe.
- Artwork. Tap into your artistic side and select the perfect framed wall art to suit your mood. Consider yourself a modernist? Choose from abstract art that utilizes bold shapes, colors and textures. Dreaming of a safari? Then animal art is the perfect way to bring the wilderness inside. Landscape art sets a serene tone and lets you escape for a little while.
- Tapestries. Whether woven, printed or embroidered, tapestries are an easy and effortless choice for covering an otherwise bland wall. Complete a boho-themed sunroom with a whimsical mandala or folksy floral print. Fun fact: macrame tapestries are totally back in again.
- Wallpaper. Another comeback kid, wallpaper is back in a big way. Instead of papering an entire room, select one accent wall and let it shine. We love a gold-infused print behind a cushioned headboard or a leathery snakeskin paper behind a mahogany desk.
Design Tip: Want to keep up with the seasons? Stock up on holiday wall decor to keep your home cheery year-round.